FAQ for New Members
What time is your worship service?
- We hold worship services each Sunday morning at 10 am in the Meetinghouse. The services are also live-streamed and recorded for later viewing on YouTube for those who cannot attend in person. The links to each Sunday service are contained in our weekly email broadcast “This Week at FCCOL” that is sent out each Tuesday. If you are not receiving these emails please call the church office at 860-434- 8686 and we will add you to the list.
- We offer additional, special worship services during the Advent/Christmas, Easter, Lenten and Thanksgiving seasons.
- Services usually last about an hour and fifteen minutes.
Where are you located?
- Our address is 2 Ferry Road in Old Lyme (but use “5 Ferry Road” for GPS.) You’ll find us at the corner of Lyme Street and Ferry Road. There’s plenty of parking spaces out front and along the adjacent streets with handicapped accessible parking as well.
When should I arrive?
- People generally start to gather about 15 minutes prior to a service. Our deacons will welcome you at the door and help you find a comfortable seat.
What should I wear?
- Come as you are! Some of us like to dress up and others wear casual clothes.
Do you have worship programs for children and families?
- Yes we do! Our “God’s Neighborhood” Sunday School meets each Sunday morning in the lowere-level Sunday School rooms in the Parish House. Families with children attend the 10 am worship service and the children are dismissed to their classes right after the children’s message portion of the worship service.
- Our Junior High and Senior High Fellowship groups also meet periodically on Sundays and at other times for special events or projects. Dates and times of these gatherings will be separately publicized by our young people’s coordinator D. Andrews or Rev. Laura Fitzpatrick-Nager. They will also be listed in
the Sunday service bulletins and the weekly email broadcast when the events are scheduled. For more information about our programs for children and families, click here.
- We love kids so all are welcome to join in worship with us. Children typically attend the 9:00 a.m. Sunday morning service with their parents, then leave for Sunday School around 9:30 a.m. Parents can meet their children at 10:30 in Fellowship Hall or pick them up outside of the Sunday School classrooms.
- Infant care is available during the 9:00 a.m. service.
Is the church accessible?
- If you or a family member have special mobility needs, we will endeavor to make your visit as easy as possible. We value inclusivity and gathering together in all our unique, intergenerational glory. We have large-print bulletins, assisted-hearing devices and toys/bags for any youngsters. We welcome noisy children and wiggly adults of all ages!
- Please contact the church office at 860-434-8686 for more information about parking, accessibility within our building or any other questions that will help you plan your visit.
My family would not necessarily be defined as "traditional." Will we be welcome?
- We are an open and affirming church.
- We welcome and embrace people of every age, ethnicity, culture, marital status and family structure, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, physical and mental ability, economic and social status, and religious or nonreligious background.
Do you offer adult education opportunities?
Yes. Many. We offer Adult Education Forums, book clubs, partnership trips, weekly Bible Study and special enrichment opportunities. For more information, click here.
Can I leave my contact information so someone can get in touch with me?
Yes. Please send us your name and contact information via email to email@example.com. We would love to reach out to you and extend you a personal welcome.
How can I get more information?
- If you would like more information before or after you visit us, please contact the church office at 860-434-8686 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We also host a “coffee hour” each Sunday after the worship service in the Fellowship Hall. Please join us for refreshments and conversation each week.
- You can also check out our Facebook and YouTube pages.
- Our ministers and congregation members will be delighted to extend you a more personal welcome.
- We look forward to meeting you!